Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Steak for a Grill

Good Morning Darlings,

I just thought that in my writers block, I might start sharing some of my recipes with you. It is my ultimate dream to one day write cookbooks and host a television show that is a mix of Martha Stewart and Chelsea Handler. So I hope you enjoy my recipes.

I thought fairly apropos for today, a beautiful August day, was a great steak marinade that I use often when cooking a decent, but not overly decadent piece of meat...like a hanger, skirt or flank. Or if my dad was going to use this recipe, he would use a London broil, which is also perfectly fine and much more economical than any of the other above choices. My only plea is that you marinate this steak dependent on the amount of fat on the steak. I am not huge on recipe that are DEFINITE. When I teach cooking classes, I teach technique and then suggest flavors. You know, I like things like literature, fashion and history, things that are easily malleable depending on your own personal ideals. And honestly, serving size? I can't be bothered. I know that you are going to eat more than 4 oz of steak as your meal. So this recipe is based on 3 lbs of steak, which easily feeds four semi hungry people along with a green, a starch, a few bottles of cheap red, and some ice cream to eat out of the carton before saying your goodbyes for the evening.

Summer Steak

3 lbs steak. You decide the variety.
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
3 TBSP. red pepper flakes
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp lemongrass powder (or if you have the real thing, even better!!)
3 tsp. chopped garlic (or if you are a member of the Fox family, you can triple this measurement)
1 tsp kosher salt
Juice of one lime (but make it a juicy one, folks)
1 G&T (all of this mixing is making you thirsty after all)

Mix all ingredients (save for the last) in a large bowl. Insert steak and commence salivation. Close your mouth (or better yet, put it around the straw of your sole remaining ingredient) and wrap bowl in plastic. Insert in refrigerator and let sit overnight or longer (seriously the longer the better). Pass out watching bad late night television. Wake up, go to brunch, go buy flowers for your dinner fiesta (I would say Stargazer lilies are perfect for this meal), pick up some fresh baguettes, some vino, and maybe some hand dipped ice cream. Come home, take post brunch nap, whip up a Gin Mary (Bloody with Gin, gin of choice being Bluecoat). Get your charcoal burning, get your corn shucking, get your music blasting. Welcome guests, commence debauchery, and breathe -- you are almost there. Take steak out of refrigerator for 25 minutes before grilling. After those painful 25 have passed, you have earned the right to char the sugar honey iced tea out of those steaks. Cook to your preference. I enjoy mine with extra carbon on the outside and bleeding on the inside, but again personal preference.

And you don't have to follow this recipe exactly -- it is just a suggested routine.

xoxox

lcf

No comments:

Post a Comment